Stanstead Abbotts Local History Society
Hope and Anchor
Located near to Easneye Lodge close to the road at what is now the village end of Wilberforce Cottages.
Records for 1890 and 1891 show Benjamin Salmon to be the publican / beer retailer suggesting this establishment was never more than a beer house. Some confusion has arisen as some villagers appear to have referred to it as “The Salmon” after the licensee rather than by its correct name.
Prince of Wales
[ Now No. 17 Cappell Lane]
Located on the village side of the Congregational Chapel in what are now residential
properties opposite the Victorian villas. Known licensees were 1890-
An Inn was located on the opposite bank of the Millstream from the Red Lion and opposite the Clock House. The building appears as an Inn on a painting by Thomas Luppino dated to the early 1800’s. The name of this Inn has yet to be identified.
Past and present
By Stuart Moye.